Saturday, June 18, 2005

Jason - June 18 5:28 AM

Today was our last day in Honolulu. We slept in a little then went for breakfast at Keoni's again. We decided we were sick of sun-screen, so we wandered around a mall we hadn't visited. Malls here are very different, as they are all open air. This one was also full of exotic plants and had a few parrots in it, as well as a large three story waterfall.

After shopping about, we went to Baskin Robin's, and had some ice-cream. Then we bought another inner tube (one is not enough :), went back to the hotel for a short nap and some (ick) sun-screen, then went out for an afternoon swim. I was thinking about trying surfing, and it was very tempting, but frankly, I've had enough sunburns these past two weeks.

After our swim, we went to the Cheesecake Factory, where we had some very small hamburgers, and some hawaiian pizza. We took some Godiva chocolate chocolate extra chocolate cheesecake back to the hotel with us too. We spent the evening packing up, then we read for a bit and ate our chocolatey cheesecake.

The Ilima shuttle picked us up and drove us to the airport. As I write this, we are in the boarding gate waiting area. This is an airport unlike any in Canada. If I walk out of this waiting area and around the corner, I find a big open area overlooking the tarmac. Should I wish to climb over a few short plants, and jump the 12 feet down, I could run around the tarmac until I was arrested. The airport is all open-air, like most of the buildings here. A small lizard ran past while we were waiting to get into the waiting area. The waiting area is enclosed and, thankfully, air-conditioned.

This airport also seems to be under some pretty heavy construction. I had to walk a long way to find an open washroom, and then I tried to walk much farther to find a working water fountain. I eventually gave up and bought a Dr. Pepper. There's a working water fountain here in the waiting area, actually, but someone tried to dispose of some fruit in it, and it's obviously been there a while, so I think I'll pass.

I'm very glad I brought my laptop on this trip. I've taken around 1500 photos, which is around 1.5GB worth. I suppose I could've uploaded them day-by-day from the cybercafe, but the laptop was much easier. Many of those photos are garbage, BTW. You won't have to wade through 1500 photos when I post them. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home