Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Jason -

I originally started writing this entry much earlier, but my laptop crashed and took it out. It's only 8:45PM here, but of course we've been up for 22 hours now. We both got snatches of sleep on the plane here and there, but nothing solid. Anne Marie is unconcious as I write this. I'd better wake her soon, actually, as she fell asleep playing with the TV while I was getting ready for bed, and the position she's in looks none too comfortable.


The flight to Hawaii went pretty well. We landed slightly early at around 5:10PM local time (11:10PM EST). As I mentioned, the plane was pretty empty. Lots of passegers stole a set of three seats in the middle of the plane and splayed out across them to read or sleep. Anne Marie and I tried to play Monopoly on my palm pilot, but I kept falling asleep. The in-flight movie was "$1,000,000 Baby", a boxing film with Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman, which did not turn out at all the way I expected it to. It was actually a very sad film.


Got lots of (what I think will be) cool photos on the approach to Honolulu. I haven't had a chance to go through them yet, so hopefully at least a few are in focus. :P There was a pigeon wandering around inside the terminal when we landed.


Actually, that's not at all uncommon here in some "buildings", since many buildings lack a roof or walls, (the hallway outside outr hotel room, for example, was very windy tonight) but the airport is actually enclosed. We saw a few people try, unsucessfully, to shoo the poor bird outside, but the pigeon would have none of that, and struted about as if it owned the place.
We were picked up at the airport by a shuttle from the hotel. Saw a lot of rainbows on the drive over; I can see why there's a rainbow on the Hawaii license plate. We also saw a number of these cute little five-wheeled cars; basically an extremely small open-air two seater, with full-size front wheels, very small rear wheels, and one rear-center wheel attached to what obviously was once part of a motorcycle. They look pretty slick. I'll have to try to get some photos of them.


We haven't had much time (or motivation) to explore, but we did a little looking around for a restaurant to eat dinner at. We eventually found a little seafood and grill place and ate there. We've seen a lot of small stores that sell clothing, a few giant bikini stores, a number of "malls" that are just like, say, Rideau Center, but have no roof to them, a lot of seafood places, and a surprisingly high number of tatoo parlors.


Another thing we've noticed is a definate prevelence of japanese here. Almost all shops have their signs in both english and japanese. Many restaurants have their menus displayed outside, but usually with a large easy-to-read-at-a-distance japanese font, and a small-don't-even-notice-it's-there english font. Some places don't have any english on their signs at all.
Anyways, I'm falling asleep as I write this, so I'll sign out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home